Social Work and School Counselors
As Valley Collaborative Elementary School Counselors, our mission is to support the entire school community through the development and integration of a comprehensive and supportive program. This will allow children to develop a positive sense of self and become effective students, responsible citizens and lifelong learners. The counseling team leads a weekly social skills group for classrooms called Positive Action. Positive Action is a systematic program that promotes an intrinsic interest in learning and encourages cooperation among students. It works by teaching and reinforcing the intuitive philosophy that you feel good about yourself when you do positive actions. Units include self-concept, social-emotional actions and getting along with others.
The School Counselors are either Licensed social workers or guidance counselors who are certified, trained, and caring professionals. We work with all students, parents, teachers, staff and the community, in order for every student to achieve academic and social success. School Counseling services are delivered in several ways. Counselors may work with students in a safe, positive, and confidential setting to address issues that interfere with school achievement. Topics are based on the needs of the student and may include: understanding feelings, coping strategies, grief, stress, social skills, academics, bullying, problem-solving, and decision-making. We meet the immediate student needs through supportive services such as acute counseling, crisis intervention, consultation, referral, peer mediation and psycho-education. Schoolwide program planning and implementation, consulting with other professionals, coordination of various supports for students and families,wrap around meetings as well as development and implamentation of IEP goals and participation in all required meetings.
- All children are valuable and deserve respect.
- All children can be taught appropriate behaviors and can learn and grow to reach their full potential, if given the right environment.
- All children learn best when they feel good about themselves and their relationships with others.
- All students should have equal access to counseling & guidance services.
- The School Counselor is a resource and an advocate for all students, staff, parents and the community.
- A School Guidance program should be comprehensive in scope, developmental in nature and preventative in design.
- A School Guidance program should be intentional and include academic, social and emotional components.
- A positive relationship between students and adults is a vital key to student success.